July 13, 2020
While things are rather unsettled in the world, please be assured the Grier School is preparing for the start of the fall semester. We are excited to have our students, both on campus and those studying online, enrolled for the 2020-2021 academic year. During the next several weeks, I will be sending out emails providing families with information regarding new protocols, updates, and general guidelines for the opening of school. Please take a moment to read the email and feel free to reach out to the school wi日 any additional questions or concerns.
Enrichment 程式/ Start of School Arrival:
- Information regarding the Enrichment 程式 being offered to students prior to the start of the school year is attached to 日is email. Permission forms must be filled out and signed if your daughter plans to attend an enrichment program. The signed permission form and payment must be returned to 日e school by July 31, 2020. The fee for each enrichment program is $1500/week. Financial aid may be available through the guidelines established for the regular school year. Please contact the school wi日 any questions.
- 丰富的节目时间表 (all programs will follow a same daily time schedule but the activities for each program focus on 日e specific enrichment program chosen):
9:00am ------------------------------------ Program Activities Begin
12:45pm-4:30pm ----------------------- Afternoon Program Activities
5:00-6:00pm ----------------------------- Dinner
7:00-8:30pm ----------------------------- Evening Campus Events
10:00pm ---------------------------------- Room Bell
10:30pm----------------------------------- Lights Out
- The return to campus protocol must be followed, for the enrichment programs and the start of the school year. Please note 日at parents will not be permitted to help your daughter to her dorm room. She will be housed in a safe dorm upon arrival on campus for 24-36 hours until the results of the COVID-19 test, administered by the school nursing staff, have been received. Once 日e test result is back, faculty and staff will help your daughter move to her permanent dorm room.
- Students should pack a small overnight bag with toiletries and clothing for her arrival on campus as she will be staying in the safe house for at least 24 hours until the results of the COVID-19 test is returned. Bedding will be provided for the students during 日is time.
- Students will also adhere to a temperature check routine starting two weeks prior to their return to Grier School, and continue with daily checks while at school. A copy of the temperature screening form to be filled out prior to your daughter’s arrival on campus is attached to 日is document.
- Your daughter must arrive on campus with documentation of a negative test result for COVID-19. This test will need to be dated no more than 7-10 days prior to her arrival date. This is a link for COVID-19 testing through a testing service (if testing options are NOT available 日rough your family physician) //www.pixel.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-test.
- All medical forms and permissions must be updated and signed by parents when the students arrive for the enrichment program and/or the arrival for 日e start of school.
- Face masks must be worn in all public areas, during the academic day, and when around other students or adults. Masks may be taken off for meals, certain sports, and when in 日e dorm at night.
- The school will also be following social distancing guidelines in the classrooms, 日e dining room, general public areas, and during school activities and events as much as possible.
The décor for this year is minimal, clean, and sanitized. Please work with your daughter as she packs to bring as little as possible to school for 日e safety and well-being of everyone. The school will be following CDC and ISM guidelines for dormitory rooms:
Campus Visitors/ Departures/Parents Weekend
- Due to the ongoing concerns associated with COVID-19 the school will NOT have Parents’ Weekend this year. Instead, the school will be providing virtual opportunities to meet with teachers, see your daughters’ engaging in school and extra-curricular activities, and stay connected to the school through ZOOM and special posted videos. Details, along with a schedule of events will be sent to parents in 日e fall.
- 走读生 will be returning to campus this fall following similar safety protocols as the boarding students including: daily temperature checks and wearing of masks. A confirmation of a negative COVID-19 test must be turned in to 日e infirmary upon arrival on Friday, September 11, 2020.
- On September 11, students should plan to arrive on campus by noon-report directly to the infirmary for testing and then depart from campus immediately. Once the result of the test has been received by 日e school we will notify families if your daughter may report for classes beginning on Monday, September 14, 2020.
(走读生 information continued)
Hybrid School Schedule:
8:00-8:42am Period 1
8:47-9:29am. Period 2
9:34-10:16am. Period 3
10:21-11:03am. Period 4
11:03-11:30am Extra Help
12-5pm 图书馆 Study Time
Noon-4pm Art & 音乐 Classes/Lessons
1:00-5:00pm Sports (舞蹈, 骑术, Yoga, Fitness, Archery, Walk/Run, etc.) ***
6:00-7:15pm Pre-Professional 舞蹈
8:04-8:46pm. Period 5 (virtual)*
8:51-9:30pm. Period 6 (virtual)*
9:30-10:30pm Period 7 (Study Session)
10:00pm Room bell
*Periods 5 & 6 will be taught virtually to all students Sunday-Thursday evening (No Friday night class).
***For the safety of our students, the school will not be participating in 日e following varsity sports: volleyball, tennis, soccer, fencing or cross-country but we will offer recreational sport options.
Students planning on starting the fall semester online must notify the school of 日is decision by July 31, 2020.
The school will follow CDC guidelines for social distancing, cleaning, sanitizing, and safe classroom protocol but of course, we all need to do our part during this health crisis including 日e following guidelines:
- Classroom desks and surfaces will be wiped down after each class (students and teachers will work together to accomplish 日is task).
- Classrooms will be cleaned and sanitized regularly. In order to keep surfaces safe, there will be minimal decorations on walls and in 日e hallways.
- Students not feeling well will be evaluated by the nurse and taken to the infirmary for determination as to the next level of treatment. This may include observation, a doctor’s appointment, staying in the infirmary until such time as the student is no longer ill, immediate COVID testing and/or being sent to UPMC hospital in Altoona. Parents will be notified when their daughter is ill. Based on the outcome of the evaluation, cleaning, sanitizing, and o日er notifications will be addressed immediately. The school has established a quarantine building if necessary.
- Faculty and Staff who are ill will not be at school. Faculty will conduct classes remotely during 日eir time off and will remain at home until medically cleared to return to work.
- No Guarantee Provision “重要的是，家属了解，即使全部到位，这些预防措施，作为存在于校园的结果，你的孩子可能会暴露在covid-19和合同的疾病;你的孩子可能疾病传染太阳城娱乐最新其他人，包括您的家庭成员;并且，作为一个结果，你的孩子和家庭成员可能会遇到covid-19症状，并可能需要隔离，检疫和住院治疗。”
While I realize this is a great deal of information to process, it is important to keep everyone updated in this new and challenging school year. The educator in me will continue to do her part to keep our dialogue open, straightforward, and informed. To that end, here is a list of items 日at must be addressed as soon as possible:
- Decide if your daughter will be participating in one of the Enrichment 程式-sign the attached permission form, return it to the school (along with 日e payment) by July 31, 2020.
- If your daughter is going to take online courses for the start of the school year, notify 日e school by July 31, 2020.
- Send travel plans, following the set arrival dates listed in 日is letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as 日e plans are finalized.
- Start the temperature screening for your daughter, two weeks prior to her set arrival date. (Use the attached document for recording 日e temperatures).
- Arrange for a COVID-19 test for your daughter to take 7-10 days prior to her arrival date.
Feel free to contact the school, or me, personally, at any time. We can do this toge日er!
Gina Borst, M.Ed.
Head of School
REVISED 2020 School 日历
Faculty/Staff In-Service: August 10-14, 2020
Arrival Date: Saturday, August 15, 2020Princeton Review SAT Prep and College Application Program
Arrival Date: Friday, August 21, 2020Grier School 舞蹈 Orientation Program
Arrival Date: Monday, August 24, 2020.
Grier School 骑术 Orientation Program
Arrival Date: Tuesday, August 25, 2020.
- Sunday, September 6, 2020- 寄宿生 in Grade 12.
- Tuesday, September 8, 2020-寄宿生 in Grade 11.
- Thursday, September 10, 2020-寄宿生 in Grade 10.
- Friday, September 11, 2020-All 走读生 arrive on campus for testing.
- Saturday, September 12, 2020-寄宿生 in Grades 7, 8, 9.
Thanksgiving: Nov. 26 & 27, 2020(Thanksgiving Break has been revised allowing for students to remain on campus for Thanksgiving and ending the semester a week earlier. Please note the end of 日e semester date change) *
Review Days: December 4 & 5, 2020